Cayman Islands Humane Society
P.O. Box 1167, Grand Cayman, KY1-1102, Cayman Islands
Phone: (345) 949-1461
Please give careful consideration to adopting a companion animal. Animals are not toys or short-term commitments. Make sure your lifestyle allows the time, patience and expense this animal will need over the next ten or more years.
- Animals are placed to live in a private residence only. The animal must not be lent, rented or sold as a guard dog or used for: dog fighting, vivisection, food or in commerce of any kind. The animal must be kept as a domestic pet at all times.
- The adopter will feed and house the dog or cat in a suitable environment to the Society's satisfaction. Cats should remain indoors for their safety. In the case of a dog, the adopter will keep it as an indoor house pet or in a reasonably large fenced area with adequate shelter from outdoor weather conditions. In the case of a dog, the adopter will exercise the animal regularly. No animal may be allowed to roam off the owner's property.
- Cats must not be declawed and animals cannot be altered cosmetic or human convenience purposes (i.e. ear cropping, tail docking, etc.)
- The adopter must provide the animal with necessary veterinary care upon sickness, disease or injury. In addition, animals must be taken to the yet once a year for routine vaccinations, etc., and, in the case of dogs, maintained on preventative heartworm medication (the Society recommends that cats are also placed on heartworm medication).
- The adopter assumes full financial responsibility for the animal.
- The animal must be maintained humanely and in accordance with all laws and ordinances in force in the jurisdiction in which the animal resides.
- The animal should wear proper identification at all times, and dogs must be licensed with the Department of Agriculture. We strongly recommend having your pet micro-chipped.
- If lost or stolen, the Cayman Islands Humane Society must be notified within 24 hours.
- The animal must not be given away, sold or exchanged without the prior permission of the Cayman Islands Humane Society. If an animal is returned to the shelter or reclaimed to the Cayman Islands Humane Society officer, there is no refund of the adoption fee or any money spent on that said animal.
- The Cayman Islands Humane Society reserves the right to investigate, unannounced, the living conditions of any animal adopted from it and has the right to reclaim and re-posses any such animal at any time if it is being kept in violation of the Adoption Agreement. The Adoption Agreement, for the avoidance of doubt, includes these Adoption Rules and Conditions.
- By acknowledging this you hereby expressly agree that any loss of, injury to and/or death of any of the animals in your care or under your control may result in any future adoption requests/applications being denied at the sole discretion of the Humane Society.
I, ____________________________, have read the ten (10) Adoption Rules stated above. I understand the Rules and hereby agree to fully comply with them. I further understand that the Rules form an integral part of this Adoption Agreement and are legally binding and enforceable by the Cayman Islands Humane Society against me. I agree to surrender to an agent of the Cayman Islands Humane Society and animal adopted from the same should the Cayman Islands Humane Society any animal adopted from the same should the Cayman Islands Humane Society find that the animal is being kept in violation of the Rules. The Cayman Islands Humane Society agrees to accept the animal back at any time if for any reason I no longer wish to, or cannot, keep the animal.
I, ____________________________, am aware or will make myself aware of the rules and regulations in relation to the necessary pet importation requirements for any country I will travel to with my pet(s).
Dated: _____________________ Signed by the Adopter: